Look After Your Wood Flooring With Our Handy Guide
- February 28, 2017
By following these simple maintenance guidelines, you will maintain the natural beauty of the floor.
You should always remember that wood is a natural product and its looks will improve as the floor matures.
Using the following maintenance guidelines will ensure that your hardwood floor will remain attractive and give many years of pleasure.
- Regularly sweep or vacuum the floor to prevent grit or abrasive dust from accumulating and/or scratching the surface.
- Any spilled liquids to be wiped up immediately – this is because wood will absorb liquids and expand and/or stain.
- Use protective pads under all furniture legs – this is to prevent damage from the furniture should it be abruptly moved.
- Use barrier mats inside and outside all external doorways.
- Never allow any liquid to remain on the floor. Stains should be removed while they are still wet. After removal of the stain, wipe the floor with a clean, damp cloth.
- Never use wax, oil based detergent or any household cleaners. These may dull or damage the finish, leaiving a greasy film behind; which in turn may make the floor slippery and more difficult to clean. A mop rinsed in water and a wood flooring cleaning solution is acceptable so long as the mop is squeezed dry beforehand.
Periodic Maintenance of Natural Oiled Products
Re-application of the oil is based upon localised usage and appearance but on average your floor will require a thorough clean and re-oiling every six to twelve months.
If your floor starts to look tired or worn, re-application of a natural oil is recommended to maintain the appearance of your floor.
Cleaning of the floor is recommended prior to the re-application of the oil or any other surface finishing. This is done by very lightly appliying a water and sugar soap solution, and then wiping it off immediately.
You can then commence with the re-oiling.
It may be that due to ingrained dirt, you are unable to thoroughly clean the surface. In this instance, it is recommended that you hire a professional to sand down the floor prior to the re-application of oil.
UV Oiled and Lacquered Finish
To remove heavy soiling from the surface, use a well wrung out cloth with a wood floor cleaner.
The floor may be treated with a ’refresher’ to supplement the surface lacquer and/or UV oil.
If you have any questions – please contact one of the Atlas Team direct – either by phone (01425) 621173 or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org